Instead of outright costumes this year, I thought I'd offer a challenge. Why not see what you have in your own wardrobes, and figure out how to use accessories to make them into a cool costume? And here, of course, are a number of ideas you can use to make some fabulous accessories in order to do just that.
1. Three different headbands. These could be used in many different ways to make quite a few variations.
2. Abe Lincoln, a vampire, or Steampunk--you decide who could wear this hat.
3. Spats are just plain fun, and again, can be decorated or left plain to enhance an outfit.
4. Another hat, with ears. Again, you COULD dress as a fox, but a little ingenuity could make these into just about any animal that has ears. There's also a mask pattern here.
5. Elegant gentleman vampires might need these. And so could several other characters.
6. Fly away, fly away, fly away home. In other words: make some wings.
Feathered wings are made a little differently.
7. A lovely Regency-style bonnet.
8. I LOVE these furry boot covers. Perfect paired with that fox hat.
9. I don't quite know why they call these things fascinators, but they do add a lot to a costume.
10. The proper headband can make or break a 50s-style costume.
11. Leather bracers for that barbaric look.
However, tapestry bracers can be just as useful. Also easier to make, at least for my non-leatherworking self. *L*
12. Don't be fooled by the phrase 'yarn tail.' With the right colors, you'll end up with a furry and fairly realistic tail. Or, use bright colors for a cartoonish costume.
13. These crowns are absolutely exquisite.
Bonus 14! Again, a crown. And again, one that could be used in SO many ways!! Granted, I suspect more gentlemen than ladies would wear one of these, but that wouldn't stop me from wearing one I think.
Bonus 15! I love looking at those enormous collar-necklaces they used to wear in ancient Egypt. This page shows you have to make a version thereof--and if you're set on making your whole costume, there are links here with ideas for making more Egyptian-style pieces.
Tonight's music of the night!